Bath in Fashion 2015


I am so impressed with the passion and openness of the people I met during Bath in Fashion.

My intention for Saturday was to view the Fashion exhibition at David Simon Contemporary and pop into Bath Fashion Museum whilst taking some street style photographs throughout the day. However it rained so much! It was not the day to be meandering the streets of bath taking photos of the beautiful Georgian architecture and street style. However things worked out in the end, I ended up diving into shops to escape the rain and found some amazing places and spoke to lovely people all day. Furthermore, the late afternoon cleared up slightly so I did manage to capture some street style in the end. Although I never made it to the museum! Stay reading for a photo-heavy account of Saturday BIF below:

Side note: I'd just like to quickly say that I was not sponsored to speak to anyone and everything purchased was with my own money. I have taken the time to showcase some really great talent in Bath because I'm passionate about diversity and individuality that is accessible to all when it comes to fashion.


After a delayed and stuttered train journey through the rain, I arrived in the centre of Bath. Welcomed with ominous grey clouds and quite bizarrely (in a good way) a marching band in the Southgate centrespace;


I made my way up to Milsom street (in very heavy rain!) passing the famous Roman Baths and Pump Rooms, Bath Spa and Bath Abbey along the way. I grew up very near Bath and have visited frequently, so I skimmed past them in a way only someone who lives in or around the area does. I did take the time to capture the Abbey, it's such a beautiful and intricate building;

Note those ominous dark clouds!
I was on my way to the Bloomsbury shop in Bath where Jean Wood works to tell her how much she influenced me and that I wrote an article inspired by us meeting. Jean wasn't at work that day so I left my card with the lovely staff in the shop who put it in the diary for Jean to see. While I was there a little something caught my eye, it's a fantastic shop for gifts, especially those who are usually so hard to buy for, but this time a purse by Matt & Nat was a gift to myself. Matt & Nat are an ethical brand with a great sense of design, I will be writing a review of the purse and more about them in a future blog post.


And now on to some of the most stylish interiors that I have ever seen ;


Welcome one and all into the wonderful world of HAY in Bath. I've been aware of the brand for about a year, but I had no knowledge of the retail space in Bath. A Danish brand founded in 2002, HAY take design inspiration from 50's and 60's furniture and also nods it's head to the world of fashion. It is lush. Simply lush. Easy on the eyes with stunning minimal design, yet with a lack of pretension demonstrated by the stylish yet notably homey styling of the show-space.





I asked the advisor Mikkel, who is himself from Denmark and usually works in a London store if it would be okay to take photographs, he replied, "Absolutely". He wanted to write the details of my blog down straight away, so if you are reading this Mikkel "hej" to you! It's always great when you get such a positive response to asking if you can photograph, and he had real joy about himself that was infectious. We had a lovely and funny conversation about things to do in London and Mikkel, go jive dancing in Paper Dress! After this I took my photos and then promptly went under an archway to find a treasure trove of trinkets and stationary. HAY is glorious and you should go even if it's just for inspiration. If they had a café I would probably live half my life here.

The archway to stationary heaven
So stylish yet homey.
Now Vintage to Vogue is a shop that is tucked away off Milsom street that supplies flapper dresses to Downton Abbey's costume department and stocks the créme de la créme of Vintage. It's definitely one to visit if you fancy treating yourself or have a very special occassion to attend. Luxury is on those rails. The advisor Lydia was more than helpful to give me the details of the owner Imren who I met when I was studying my textiles A-level years ago! I am so glad she is still around and would love to write a further article interviewing her, because she is such a fabulous lady with a real eye for style. Also Lydia and I chatted, (do you see a pattern emerging?) and good luck with your future career in fashion design! I picked up a vintage issue of Vogue from 1965. It's lush and I want to dress like all the adverts inside. It's a great way to widen inspiration too.


Onto my very first bit of Street style, The lovely Sally! I was rushing up a street desperately trying to find the art gallery, and Sally's coat stopped my in my tracks. I don't know if it shows so much in the overcast photo but those colours were popping! Also Sally had a 'Marc by Marc Jacobs' handbag in the light green/blue that was the EXACT green/blue in her coat and a very good pair of glasses. A glasses wearer myself, I highly commend those with good taste in spectacles. Sally you are amazing and super lovely too, she was absolutely over the moon to be photographed and it's just the best when someone takes the street style photography as such a complement!


Then I finally found the Art Gallery!


The Exhibition at David Simon Contemporary for Bath in Fashion (on until April 11th ) was the reason I had made the journey down to Bath. Sometimes I think it can be slightly intimidating walking into an art gallery especially a small one, but Lucy and David were both absolutely lovely and welcoming. It is well worth the visit as the Art changes each month. Also, Article, the shop next door is adjoined and can be accessed by walking through the Gallery. Lucy runs the shop, and David the Gallery. They are husband and wife and I think it's absolutely lovely that they have this space shared with areas of their separate interests.

As you walk round and admire the artwork, the beautiful smell of Lucy's flowers and perfumes waft through and it's gorgeous, a real sensory experience. Very different to many galleries I have been to and far more welcoming.


The exhibition itself is very good. There is a wide range of techniques and materials as well as a diverse approach to colour and composition with each illustrator. I think like fashion designers have signature style, so do these artists. On a personal level as a style blogger and art lover I adored the exhibition , because it blurs the lines between art and fashion. Jacqueline Bissett, Helen Bullock, Erin Petson and Sarah Tanat-Jones are the fashion illustrators being showcased, accompanied by Julian Bailey paintings of fashion lifestyle.


The Yellow Dress-Jacqueline Bisset
I was especially drawn to Jacqueline Bisset who worked with collage and illustration. I love collage, I think it's so dynamic and is very elegantly done in her work. Stand out pieces for me are the yellow dress, the yellow jacket and jospehine. They all have a sense of movement in the fabric of the garments that the subject is wearing and the yellows are vivid and fresh in the pieces that use colour. Bisset manages to capture a lightness in the chiffon of the yellow dress by placing the collaged dots in a certain order. and the fringing and feathers in the collages seem to float after the subjects. It is all very elegant and poised with just a touch of edgy-ness in the use of collage.

The Bathing Suit- Sarah Tanat-Jones
I mentioned to Lucy I was here especially for the exhibition celebrating fashion. She was more than happy to talk about the artists when I asked about her thoughts on the exhibition, we talked about the use of colour in the work of Sarah Tanat-Jones "the new kid on the block" she floods the background in vivid colour (it's usual to have a white background for fashion illustration) and uses bold lines and shapes in her work. The piece The Bathing Suit reminded Lucy of Matisse and there is a similarity in the blue and orange colours used and the curved limbs of human forms in his cut-out work. Poolside I would happily have on my wall, the posture of the subject has a calming effect even though she is wearing shocking red. Also The Trench Coat because it looks like me buried in a scarf in the rain! you can almost feel the warm pressure of the cheeks hidden inside that scarf.

Erderm- Erin Petson
Erin Petson has a real delicate quality to her work, it seems to fade in from the white space and looks almost fragile. It doesn't have the immediate striking impact some of the other contemporary styles had, yet Erderm is so soft and ethereal. There is a classical beauty to the pieces that intrigues the viewer into looking for a long time at each illustration by Petson.

Simone Rocha- Helen Bullock
Helen Bullock has captured the mood of that serious/fierce aura a really sharply-dressed woman can give off. The images are powerful and I like that there are ranges of composition from a portrait, to a full length form. Bullock captures the feeling of the fabric. When I look at and the way she has painted Simone Rocha I think that tartan must be heavy and decadent yet velvety. David had a favourite by Helen Bullock too, Prada, Thank you David for taking the time to talk with me about the artists and welcoming me into the gallery.

I often think that people feel they are not allowed in a gallery if they cannot afford the original art, however many galleries sell prints and cards, so you shouldn't ever let that stop you seeing beautiful artwork. I picked up a greeting card of Josephine by Blisset for £2.50, so you don't have to break to bank to help fund art spaces and artists. Be brave! go inside those galleries where you usually only look through the window! You'll have a wonderful time just like I did.


Walking through the gallery beautiful florals start to appear and and suddenly one finds themselves in Article, a haven of flowers, homewares and handcrafted trinkets. The display is gorgeous and there is a white grand piano tucked in the corner because Lucy is a classically trained pianist!



I actually really loved the ecclectic stock in Article and I also wanted to buy everything. I refrained and chose some Garance Doré notebooks perfect to slip in my bag and take notes with throughout the day. I also followed Garance's videos on paris and fashion when I was studying in London, however nowadays the videos are much shorter, maybe she is focusing on her line of stationary? I'm not complaining :)


Lucy and David really were absolutely lovely and I think I spent at least a good hour with them. I just hoped they enjoyed it as much as I did!

It was nearly three in the afternoon by this time, and I was hungry for lunch! I went over the road to The Loft for lunch. At Café Lucca a Chicken and chorizo melt was delicious and just what I needed, and on sweet bread too! an absolute delight.



The loft space that hosts the café also led over to Blue, an amazingly laid out space for homeware and the coolest fashion brands I have seen curated outside of London.




I managed to have a quick word with Chloé who buys in designers and brands with her Mother. We had a lovely conversation about the need for a fresh set of eyes on some fashion decisions whether that be buying to wear or buying for business! With the power of two in fashion, Chole and her Mother use the difference in age and influence to bring together a treasure trove of fashion and homeware that appeals to a wide range. The curation of Blue and the wide and airy lay out sets them apart from many retail spaces in Bath. I also got to stroke her lovely dog Suki, a cheecky French bulldog who is a total babe.


Blue is definitely somewhere I will be exploring more. The shop is so big, like industrial warehouse big and the choice of designers is so fresh and different to most of Bath so it's definitely a place to checkout if you like to experiment with your style, or enjoy discovering new brands.

Next I popped into Bibico just down the way from Blue. I have actually been aware of the brand for years but had no idea they have a retail space in Bath so it's really exciting. I used to own a strapless grey belted tunic dress from Bibico when i was still in secondary school! Bibico do amazing knitwear that is so soft and I think they have a slight bohemian vibe in their summer collection this year. It is also a great place to buy fashion staples like white shirts and classic jumpers. The designs have always been desirable yet classy and they are an ethical brand, however the design really speaks for itself and if you didn't know you'd still want half of the shop.


In Bibico I had a chat with Dafinka, the assistant about how I would like to interview the founder and do a spotlight article, she really encouraged me to go for it! Dafinka said everyone is lovely that comes into Bibico. We also talked about her upcoming move to London, Good Luck!

Now for some more street style!


This is Shamire, who is borrowing this hat from his mate, he had headphones on over the top of the hat originally! I couldn't resist not taking a photo. I also like all the blue tones running through the whole outfit, but the hat makes it for me. Super warm and super fun, he was rocking that hat and just dead cool about it, "yeah my mate just gave it to me cos my head was cold".

Below is Izzy, her beautiful wrap was originally her mother's, I'm a big fan of using pieces from the wardrobe of mum and dad with their permission of course (usually)!


This is a really great look, there are so many classic elements of style being used. The black accsessories paired with blue denim and the accent of the brown belt give Izzy enough room to wear two really good stand out pieces, the hat and the wrap. I feel like there is alot of play with shape here and it really suits her. Izzy has a style that is super cool and seems effortless because of the restricted colour palette combined with the statement shapes that add an edge to a classic outfit.

Last stop is Jaeger, found in House of Fraser (Bath Jolly's), I popped in on a whim just to see what was happening as there had been a couple of events held for BIF throughout the week. I was drawn to a beautiful rail of vintage in the centre;


The vintage was not for sale, it was there to demonstrate that Jaeger were finding inspiration from their vintage designs. They are also moving towards more garments manufactured in the UK, and the candles in the collection were all UK made. A move to be more ethical is always applauded here on ICBINF. I have been aware of Jaeger as a brand for a long time, yet had never really explored it at all, the new collection is choc full of iconic pieces that are made from beautiful fabrics, there is suede,the softest leather, silk scarves and even a ponyskin coat. From picking up and holding pieces it is clear high quality and craftsmanship is on these rails. The design of the collection will stand the test of time and transcend many fashion seasons. In this way, the design is also sustainable too, as Jaeger set out to create clothing that one day your daughter will steal from your wardrobe. My stand out piece was the pink dress hanging on the right hand side of the image below, silk and soft sleeved, it is a gorgeous colour. Actually all the colours for the spring collection are very very desirable (I'm not lying when I say I would happily restock my wardrobe with most of the collection).




I would like to thank Heather and Lesley for showing me around the space, Lesley especially for her knowledge not only of the brand heritage, but the heritage of the room the collection had been curated in. She has a real passion for clothing and was a real fan of the a-line skirts made from leather and suede. She also showed me a strappy black and white dress where Jaeger had draped a matching scarf as a wedding outfit on the runway earlier in the week for BIF. The room in which the collection was beautifully merchandised was the Queen Mary dressing room once used by a real queen with a floor to ceiling mirror, stunning archways and decadent mouldings.


Heather also explained the collection was inspired by Paul Klee and an artist with a master for colour, it is clear to see how Jaeger have managed to really impress with colour, design and fabric.



Next my penultimate street style snap of the beautiful Pheobe.


Off on a night out, Phoebe has the head-to-toe black ensemble down to a tee. What really works is the range of texture through the outfit. The leather sleeves of the blazer match the leather shoes whilst sheer tights and velvet shorts create a contrast of texture between decadent soft velvet and sheer slinky nylon. It's a perfect outfit because although she is essentially covered up, her body shape is really flattered in what she is wearing. Phoebe also mentioned that she attended London Fashion Week, and encouraged me to attend saying the space and the exhibits are amazing. Stay tuned for that blog post in the future.

My last photograph of the day is of Liz, after a chance encounter in the train station loos (#glam) I asked if she would be okay with me taking a photograph of her coat. I had clocked that this shade of purple is incredibly flattering on a number of the ladies who were working at the station that day and it is such a good colour to pair both black and tan with, making it very easy to choose accessories as accompaniment. Also the colour transcends though spring to winter with just the right amount of a light hue for the (semi) warmer months, yet the refined connotations of purple make is a colour to choose for the winter as well. Liz did not want to look at the camera, saying her hair was messy (you look lovely)  but I assure you I had her permission to take the photograph!


What I would like to make clear from my day is that everyone I have encountered has an individuality and passion for what they are doing. Once again thank you to the lovely people that chatted with me and were happy to have photographs taken. It is so important that fashion keeps this diversity and that we have the freedom to express different facets of style through the clothing we choose to consume.

 I'm aware I have been focusing on higher-end retail today, it's not the only thing I consume, it just happens to be very well presented in Bath. If you are on a budget, looking towards high end brands is also a great way to filter out very trend-led pieces from the high street that won't stand the test of time. For example, I could walk round Jaeger, see something I think is a really strong piece and then stumble across something in a similar vein shopping with a friend on the high-street or in a Vintage/Charity shop a couple of weeks later. It's obviously not going to be an exact copy, and quality of material and craft may fluctuate depending, however this  is a great way to find affordable pieces that are going to be in your wardrobe rotation for more than one season.

A focus on this area of the market can also change your shopping approach entirely. Instead of binge buying a number of garments at a lower price, you may get that one piece that is higher end. Throwaway fashion is not chic, and you will be more creative with your style choices when you invest in stand-out pieces, and you can invest in Chanel or Charity shops. I have a second hand maxi dress that comes out every summer that gets mistaken for designer, due to it's print, it was £10.

Find influence outside of shopping, like the colour used in the art exhibition seen at Simon David Contemporary or Liz wearing that shade of purple at the train station and feed it into your wardrobe choices. Now go and get dressed with your new knowledge and inspiration,  you never know I might even photograph you one day.

Comments

  1. Hi Elodie, lovely article, it looks like you had a nice day! Lydia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts