I am sick


Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, I am sick, not flu sick, more chronic illness sick.  I just thought I would write a little note to say I haven't forgotten my lovely community of readers <3

Although this post starts deeper and darker that most, there is light, my illness has made me who I am today. Leaving university early was a necessary step not just because I was ill, but because it was not fulfilling me and at £9000 per year, this is an extremely expensive way to be unfulfilled. I find sometimes if I am acutely unhappy or stressed, illness rears it's head and tells me to take a time out, to think and evaluate. I found that in retrospect my decision was really brave, I was in a top fashion school, and had future plans all lined up, I could have taken a year out and returned, but if you are not happy, who are you? The reason you are reading my words here now, is because I started this blog after leaving design school. I wanted to use the passion I have for clothing, accessories, making, curating (shopping) and writing to endure through a dark time and to look back at what can be achieved even when I am at my most poorly.

This is my bed, you will more than likely find me here.

Illness has decided to be really quite inconvenient in the formative years of my twenties. I have been progressively getting worse again these past few months and as friends my age graduate university, travel and look to their future, I am currently looking at a three month hospital schedule. But it's okay, I am taking my own journey in a way, learning about the limits of my body and also at how amazing and supportive my parents can be, they took me in post university and it's also great watching my brother growth spurt into becoming a young adult. I have also well and truly found some of my best friends though being ill, and the ones that will ask me to meet, even if I have been too ill to see them since Victorian times are amazing <3 I love you all very much. Also the man in my life should get a mention for being the kindest gentleman a girl could ask for, I guess I love him too <3

My amazing family!

So what am I doing about it? Well writing about it for one, sharing with you, friends, neighbours and strangers (scary) and bettering myself. I find if I am housebound, a documentary, a book  or a TED talk that opens my mind helps to alleviate the cabin fever and frustration I can feel. I have decided to start doing reviews on books and films and music I encounter. Currently I am reading THE GREAT FASHION DESIGNERS (it's in capitals on the book, and every time I see it, in my mind it is read with great gravitas) by Brenda Polan and Roger Tredre.

I wonder what this book is about?

I shall review THE GREAT FASHION DESIGNERS soon as I think it's useful to review non-fiction books as they can be a larger investment of time than fiction books. Furthermore you have to be switched on mentally to take in all the information so it can be an investment in energy too. I have also picked up the memoir of a personal shopper in New York, a Sartorialist photobook and some literature on styling menswear that I will review in the future ( I want to do some menswear posts!). I hope you respect my discretion in regards to naming my illness but I thought it might be the best way (for me personally) to focus on moving forward. The long and the short of it is I am doing my best...and reading a mountain of fashion books!

xxxxx
This is a painting by Jane Mount, she does all kinds of arty booky things!
http://www.idealbookshelf.com/ 


Comments

  1. Elodie, I had no idea! Hope you're doing okay, and just so you know...I think you're incredibly brave! Not many people would have the guts to take a break from what they'd had planned, even if it is for their own benefit.
    xxx
    P.S. 3 month hospital schedule does not sound fun at all. We may not have spoke since school but if you need anything/a visitor/a friend/a tub of grapes, PLEASE don't hesitate to give me a buzz :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! that really means alot, we will have to meet for a catch up sometime! xxxxxxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts